The tombstones displayed here commemorate the Ottoman Turkish soldiers who died on the flagship of the Kapudan Pasha Nasuhzade Ali. The ship was destroyed on the night of June 6/7 1822 by the revolutionary and future five-time Prime Minister of Greece Constantine Kanaris in response to the Massacre of Chios, which had taken place over the previous months. Kanaris was from Psara, a small island neighboring Chios which was also by massacred by the Turks only two years later (June 1824). Today, Psara is only inhabited by around 400 people, while before the massacre it was home to around 7,000; Chios today has around 52,000 people, while it had around 120,000 before the massacre.
The tombstones displayed below are in the same location as they were almost two hundred years ago, in the main square inside of the Kastro (castle) of Chios town. The Kastro still houses a significant percentage of the population of Chios, the eponymous capital of the island is named.